When we started the Label, we had no idea what to do in order to book a tour, how to submit to radio or media in order to get coverage for our bands or even how to make the proper seasonal holiday cookies. So we spent all of our waking hours talking to people and trying to understand what we were supposed to do in order to get our bands known.
Though we can’t help you out with everything, we’ve put together this Resources section as a starting point. This area will constantly be added to with new contacts for radio, promoters, and anything else that might be helpful. We know how hard it is when you start, and hopefully this will be of some assistance. Remember though, only a small part of the work is figuring out what needs to get done. The more important part is to actually get off of your ass and do the work.
- Copyright - Canada
A little background on Canadian copyright from SOCAN.
- Copyright - What Exactly is a Music Copyright? By Joy R. Butler
- Distribution - Distribution. By Ben McLane.
- Management - The Management Agreement. By Ben McLane.
- Management - The Manager. By Ben McLane.
- Mechanical Royalties
- Mechanical Royalties - Controlled Composition. By Ben McLane.
- Music Law: Free Legal Advice
Here you’ll find answers on nearly every aspect of music law - including copyrighting your music, royalties, protecting your band name, music publishers, recording contracts and agreements, getting perimission to use a song, and many other topics. Very useful.
- Music Law: Musicians Intellectual Law & Resources Link
A very complete directory containing not only links, but general information on the basics of copyright and music law.
- Performance Royalties - Performance Royalty. By Ben McLane.
- Publishing - Music Publishing: How your songwriting generates income. By Joy R. Butler.
- Publishing - Publishing Company. By Ben McLane.
- Recording Contract Questions - Analysis of Recording Contract Clauses
- Recording Contract Questions - Recording Contract Royalties. By Ivan Hoffman.
- Recording Contract Questions - Royalties (Computing). By Ben McLane.
- Recording Contract Questions - The Six Potential Traps in A Recording Contract. By Ivan Hoffman.
- Releasing Your Own Record - Legal Checklist. By Bart Day.
- Resource Website: Band Radio
Contains links and directories to a number of agents, bands, festivals, lawyers. Also has articles. They used to have a good selection of sample contracts, but it’s been taken down recently.
- Resource Website: Bandname.com
The first place to go to see if you someone else has got your name.
- Resource Website: BYOFL
A great North American resource for promoters, venues, labels and other stuff that touring bands need.
- Resource Website: Clever Joe’s Musician Resource
Lots of links including industry, radio and media.
- Resource Website: Newspaper Search Tool
A Belgian site that has a great listing of Canadian and North American Newspapers.
- Resource Website: Smashing Lumber
Resource for all things Canadian - Magazine, Radio, Scene pages
- Resource Website: TAXI
Although at times it’s pretty cheesy, this is a good place to get a basic understanding of some important issues that face bands. You need to search around a little to find the good stuff.
- Resource Website: The Music Biz Academy
A great resource tool for finding out information about the music industry. Also has a great directory for everything from talent agencies to Indie music supporters.
- Sample Contracts: AMS Sample Contracts
A selection of sample contracts. Use with discretion.
- Show Posting Resource: New Music Canada
Sign up your band, post some music, and then make sure you keep all of your tourdates up to date. Canadian bands only.